Viennese Coffee Names Explained

Coffee is one of the integral parts of Austria. Germany has the Autobahn and Bratwurst, and Austria has the alps and where it doesn't have the alps it has a lingering love for coffee.

Especially in Vienna you are going to find coffee shops which are still run in the traditional way and Starbucks is a mere sugary water supplier in comparison. Viennese Coffee Houses are not the spot where you go in quickly and leave soon. It is a moment of peace and quiet in which you sit down, have a nice chat with friends while sipping on a lovely cup of coffee. This has spread outwards, and as such, Wiener Neustadt has coffee houses, Eisenstadt and at random intervals you are going to find such in small towns as well.

As a coffee lover who is in Vienna, you should never miss the opportunity to visit such a place. However, this is going to present you with a fascinating problem. The coffee names are unique for the country. Not even the Germans share them, a shocking realization I made when I asked for a "großer Brauner" in a German train and was immediately singled out as a lunatic or Austrian. So it is quite hard to find your way around them when you set foot in Austria.

However, fear not since I am willing to share the secret. Let's start with the smallest:


Ristretto: ... means narrow in Italien. It is the smallest possible Espresso you can think of. About half of what an espresso would be but twice as strong.

Kleiner Schwarzer: a tiny black - a simple espresso as you know it.

Großer Schwarzer: a big black - a double espresso as you know it.

Verlängerter: a fine espresso that is stretched with hot water.

Kleiner Brauner: a tiny brown - meaning an espresso with some milk. Often the milk comes in its own little can, so you can adjust the amount.

Großer Brauner: a big brown - the coffee is filtered with more water than an espresso, then there is also milk involved. Again, often it comes with a separate milk can.

Wiener Melange: The Viennese Melange is half coffee and then the rest of the cup is filled with milk froth. This way a tiny bonnet is created at the top.

Franziskaner: This is the Wiener Melange Delux edition. It is created the same way but instead of a subtle topping of milk froth, there a delicate bonnet of whip decorates the top.

Cappuccino: This one is a cute little espresso but if you fancy a little more than just milk in it. It contains milk froth instead.

Caffè Latte: not to be mistaken with a "großer Brauner"- this one does not only contain milk but also foam on the top. Furthermore, it is not served in a cup but instead in a glass.

Most people drink espresso not just because it is hot, strong and contains caffeine, but because it is very rich and flavorful. The water is intended to cleanse your palate before the first sip so that you can better enjoy the taste of the espresso.

Now you are prepared to set foot into a traditional Viennese Coffee House and manage to order a drink that suits your taste. Or why not try something new every day?

12 comments :

  1. I wish we had a coffee culture like the Viennese one where I live! Sadly, my hometown doesn't even have a hipstery type of coffee place, just a sad tearoom that only old people go to...
    It's funny that Wiener Melange, according to Dutch people, is a mix of coffee and hot chocolate. I was fully convinced this would be the only one on the list I'd know, but I even got that one wrong XD

    x Envy
    Lost in Translation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you mix what with what ?! I am really not sure how to feel about this now.

      See the positive side, a new nugget of knowledge every day :)

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love coffee but I've literally never heard of Viennese coffee names before! Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the difference because already in Germany the names are all different!

      Delete
  3. I've not heard of a lot of these coffee names, so that's something new I learnt today. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so interesting. The only ones I knew were lattes and cappuccinos, I dont have the caffeine tolerance for ristretto!

    Ash | https://thisdreamsalive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, they can be brutal. It is more of an acquired taste ;)

      Delete
  5. I'm a huge coffee drinker, the stronger the better. And the fact that you have so many different varieties of espresso warms my soul. Interesting to see what they're called compared to what we'd call them here x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also find it interesting because a few years ago, I hadn't even considered that they might be called different all over the world. Then there was this fateful day in the Deutsche Bahn and here I am now :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing! I'm an avid coffee drinker and I love learning about coffee as it relates to local/national cultures. I will certainly keep this in mind for my travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment, and #CoffeeLover for life :p

      Delete

Copyright © floralcars.