How To Stay Motivated As A Small Blogger

With a hopeful face you started your blog to share the things you're passionate about. However, by now you thought you'd be famous with a book contract and piles of money in the bank. But it isn't like this. Then your motivation starts to slip, and while you ponder on what to write next, a small flicker of doubt appears that says "what's the point?"

I've seen many new bloggers lose faith and then stop blogging all together. They had an absolute hype in the first few months, writing post after post, about every possible topic under the sun. After a while the sad tweet "I am falling out of love with blogging" is shared.

That is all right, we've all had moments when the world seemed hopeless and what you're doing seemed fruitless. However, there is a way to stay motivated when you are a small blogger:


Write for Yourself

I know it's an old hat, The same as "be yourself". Yet, this is very important! After all this is your blog, you are not paid to do it, and so you can indulge in happily writing about what you fancy. In the end it should be a post that you would want to read, and re-read the next day.

If you already think "I don't really want to write about that" then don't!

Make Your Blog Your Space 


When you click on your blog you have to like it. You need to feel comfortable on it. This is your space. If you don't want to spend hours on it, then why should anyone else? It's a lot of work to find a new theme. Often you have to edit it until you finally fall in love with it. Maybe the pink is a bit too girly but you like it, so why not? Change everything to your wishes.

Easier said than done. The theme still needs to be practical and a new reader should know their way around. It takes a lot of time to customize it. I vividly remember working on many small changes in December. Then in February I decided "meh, I like this new theme way more" and ditched it. I wasn't done with that, I spent a whole week digging around in the source code on the test blog. Then I worked two whole days to make it work on this side of the world. All the blood, sweat, tears and cursing was worth it. Now, I scroll through it and I love it.

Share on Social Media 


When all is said and done, you want people to read what you write. But how do you get people to read it?

I found that the easiest way is to share on social media, especially if you're a small blogger.  Personally, I think twitter is the easiest platform, because of Blogger Retweet accounts - you tag them or use their hashtag they RT - which is an easy way to connect with other blogger. This brings me neatly to the next point.

Find Fellow Bloggers


There are bloggers you look up to, and others where you don't know why they're famous at all. That's as maybe, not only does that give you a good way to connect to people but you can also use this to try out a bit of their knowledge. After a time, you'll notice how they try to connect to their followers, or how they promote their posts. Once a day? Once a week? Or only when a new post is published?

Then you can pick up little things and try those for your own blog. Furthermore, it keeps the world interesting: you might find new subjects you'd love to write about, or a different opinion on a certain topic, or gain a little bit of inspiration.


Write Regularly 


This is the most important advice I can give. Even if you think nobody is going to read it, write, write, write! You need to get a routine. 

Figure out how much time you have to spare for blogging. One good post per week is by miles better than three rushed ones. Even if you have three ideas this week, of course, write them down if you can, but don't publish them just yet. After all there might be a week when time is running short and you could use a back-up post.

Furthermore, writing is a skill - not talent. No blog post is ever wasted, even if you don't publish it, you learned something from it for the next one! 


I am going to admit any day, that being a small blogger isn't always easy. You wonder why that person writing about hubcaps has more followers than you, and why isn't anyone reading this post you've worked on for so long? However, that will pass, if you truly love what you're writing about and keep at it, you are going to gain faithful readers and enjoy what you're doing as well.

Happy blogging! 


40 comments :

  1. You can also try and re-read lovely comments you might have received. Like this one:
    Reading posts on this little blog always makes me smile, and I enjoy staying here a little longer and clicking around :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to remember this bit of advice, and more importantly this absolutely lovely comment ♥

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post! Thank you so much for the mention too, means a lot :)

    Dani x | flourishingfreelancer.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed it. Your blog is brilliant. Xx

      Delete
  3. The struggle is real when you have a small blog. I found with my current blog the newness wore off after two months or so, and I had to decide to commit. I love blogging, but you have to commit to all the hard work that goes into it. It's not all Twitter chats and racking up blog comments, ya know? Finding other bloggers to chat with and connect to is a big help! This is a great post, missy. xx

    Breanna Catharina
    toocuteforlife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, it is so much work, even I was surprised by it but, if I am honest, I like the small edge that comes with all the work and learning new things ;)

      Delete
  4. This post is super helpful for me because I'm a small blogger and I only started in January! I love this post! Xx

    Itsallzara.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you the best of luck with your blog ♥

      Delete
  5. This REALLY helped THANK you💕 (Sorry about the capitals, my phone does that automatically!!) it's hard to be a small blogger especially when people who started at the same time as you have 4x the number of followers...
    Loved this post,
    Xxx www.lifeinkateish.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU! And, oh yes, that is a common problem. Then it's important to just keep going and "believe in yourself" if you love blogging, it is a big plus!

      P.S.: As a native German speaker I feel your pain, sudden capitalized words are my métier.

      Delete
  6. Such a great post, and very relatable. Theres been a few times where ive thought i dont want to blog anymore/whats the point, so i began writing more of what i wanted to write (as opposed to trying to fit into the beauty blog catagory as i previously had been) and im so much happier with blogging now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very happy that you enjoy blogging more now!

      I think my "breaking point" was when I wrote - never published - a really boring post because I thought people would read it and follow. Despite my blog is different normally - yeah, lot of sense there, Susanne.

      Delete
  7. This is a great post! Luckily I haven't hit that wall and 'I've fallen out of love with blogging' stage but I'm sure it will come at some point! I've read in so many places that having a posting schedule keeps you motivated and I really think it works, no matter how busy I am I know I'll give time to write my post cause I want to have regular content!
    PaleGirlRambling xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully that phase won't come too fast, or at all :)

      Yes, I made a schedule two weeks ago, and I feel like it is working - at the very least, to keep me more organised.

      Delete
  8. This is such a wonderful post! I've fallen out of love with blogging so many times but I've picked myself up and carried on. Wonderful advice!

    -amy
    www.scarielsgrotto.com 🖤✨

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post is great. I struggle with being a small blogger as I feel very overshadowed by bigger blogs. I love your advice about writing regularly as I think routine is a great way of attracting readers. Sharing my posts on social media has been really great for me. Keep up the good work! x
    www.evemorganinteriors.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think we've all felt overshadowed from time to time ...

      Delete
  10. This is such a lovely post! I often fall out of love with blogging but posts like these always make me remember about the things that I love about my blog and blogging :)

    Sarah | What Sarah Writes

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post with Brilliant advice! I'll definitely be keeping this in mind! ~Tori
    | http://dreams-and-schemes.blogspot.ie |

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love and agree with all of these tips! You should definetely write for yourself x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loooove this! I'll definitely be bookmarking this to re-read when I'm feeling down about blogging!

    Kirsty | The Monday Project | themondayproject.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this post, a great read! I have struggled so much this year because I am not home and can't make my university room very homely as I won't be able to take it all back with me on the plane (I only have 2 big suitcases to fit in all my stuff on the way back to the UK), so not having that 'homely' feeling doesn't help. I find going to cafes to do blog work really helps (China cafes are mega cute and cosy) and a change of scenery instead of being isolated in this room!

    Abs x
    https://afababulouslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this post, and I actually think everything you've said is relevant to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  16. 'Write for yourself' - how important!!! Write about the things you love and want to write about. Love this post!

    Sarah | sazsinclair.blogspot.co.uk xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think it's the most important thing to keep in mind.

      Delete
  17. All of these tips are so fab! I've authored a couple of other blogs before The Northernist, and I just totally fell out of love with them. I was trying too hard to fit in and just didn't enjoy my writing, but with this blog, I write what I want to read and I've never been happier! It's so important to blog for yourself and no one else, even if you are trying to make it a paid hobby - there will be brands and other people that want to read your content!

    Olivia - The Northernist x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Even if your blog doesn't seem like the "usual beauty, fashion blog" there are still ways to make the best of it - even money wise, me thinks. And I'm happy your current blog is working out well & you love it :)

      Delete
  18. Great tips! It's very important to be you and stay true to yourself! I've become a lot more confident because of doing this through my blog. I've loved finding other bloggers and they are great to talk to as hey understand the fascination with blogging

    Tasha x

    http://itsatashathing.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/jackson-reece-baby-wipes-review.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been thinking too much if people would read and like my posts but you know what, starting from now on, I'm just going to write whatever I feel like writing. Thank you for this inspirational post :) x

    www.captaineverland.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I wish you all the best Xx

      Delete
  20. Yes, it is the hardest thing in the world, but your post is spot on! You should always blog for yourself first and foremost.
    Cora ❤ http://www.teapartyprincess.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the advice of making your blog your space and making sure you love it, I really like that! I try and do that with my blog as well, when I hit the homepage button and see my layout and all my posts it makes me really happy and I try to make sure that things stay that way so that I feel constantly inspired.

    Julia // The Sunday Mode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's so important because other people pick up on it as well, and see with how much care you keep your theme.

      Delete
  22. Wonderful post. I am now learning how to be more consistent. I realize how important it is, because people want to trust that you will keep creating content as well. I think the creativity and love for the process is so crucial. Thank you for sharing your thoughts Susanne ^^

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © floralcars.