A City of Opposites: Exploring München

Every city and village carries a different atmosphere: Vienna has a mixture of arrogance and indifference. Stuttgart is creepily friendly when you are used to the Viennese lifestyle because people are not going to make a secret that they are eavesdropping. Zürich is all about milling about mixed with superiority.

After dropping my car off in a secure location, enough sleep, and a filling breakfast, it was time to discover what München would be like. When someone mentioned this city to me, the first thing that pops into my head, is BMW. However, there is much more that makes the essence of this city.

St. Luke's Church München
St. Luke's Church München
One of the insider tips that I been given, was to check out the "Müller'sche Volksbad". It is a little public pool but instead of just a sad little pool in the middle, the city decided to keep the original and quite impressive architecture:

Müller'sche Volksbad
Müller'sche Volksbad
Obviously, I can't talk about München and not mention the sight that is BMW. BMW World and the BMW Museum are located at the Olympiapark. There are the iconic three towers of their Headquarter that marks the city:

BMW Towers München / Munich
BMW World is right at the edge of the Olympia Park:

BMW Welt Olympia Park
However, it is not the only park in München and overshadowed by the vastness of the Englischer Garten (transl. English Garden). While the name might delude you that it has big flower beds filled with pretty little flowers - been there - the park offers open spaces of grass, mixed with trees and smaller lakes where you can ogle at ducks.

 Englischer Garten München
Ducks in the Englischer Garten München
And as a local kindly explained to me, it is a popular spot as a pre-night meet up to "lie in the sun and get drunk." Yes, that's a direct quote.

Since I had visited it on what felt like the first spring day of the year, it was stuffed with people but the mass spread out unlike the sheer amount of people at the Marienplatz:

München Rathaus
Which is the town square and home of the Rathaus - above - and the old Rathaus - below - which now inhabits a toy museum.

München altes Rathaus
If you walk down the Kaufingerstraße, toward the Frauenkirchen and eventually head for the Karlsplatz - note to self: there are more than one in the whole world - you are going to encounter more older buildings that add to the old character of the city:

München
After shoving my way through the huge masses of people on the Kaufingerstraße, I was ready to take my train back to Riem and settle in my hotel bed. All in all, München is a city of opposites, both in regards of the people and architecture:

On the one hand, it is known for BMW - a car manufacture which heads the field in renewable energy and modern car technology. Definitely one that does not want to be stuck in the past. Meanwhile, the city centre takes pride in its olden architecture.

On the other hand, there are the people: after a mere ten minutes in the public pool, a local man and I had started small talk and after swimming our lengths, I had ended up in the office gossip group before I even noticed what had been going on.

This marks the people out as kind and open, but at the same time, I had to elbow my way through the Marienplatz. While in Vienna in a crowded place you somehow managed to avoid each other without making eye contact and it would be considered rude to bump into someone, in München nobody even bothers if you brush against them if its in a crowd and you try to get the other way.

And is there a better way than to show this dichotomy than by taking a photo of an electric BMW i8 parked on an old cobbled road?

BMW i8 in München

More About My München Road Trip 


27 comments :

  1. Oh wow, Munich has never really been on my travel list, until now. The architecture alone is enough to make me want to go, but that pool looks so inviting too! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to believe that Munich is a hidden gem for weekend trips :)

      Delete
  2. This looks like such a cool place to visit and explore!! I will have to put it on my bucket list xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't really know anything about Munich before reading this but it looks like such a beautiful city. I need to add it to my list! The BMW building is incredible but it sticks out quite a bit in contrast to everything else...x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the BMW building does but I feel it's a part of the essence of Munich :) Hope you get to visit the city one day ♥

      Delete
  4. The only thing I think about when I hear München is beer. Sorry XD
    The pool look awesome. I really like that the people are so friendly. I never start conversations with anyone, even if I'm up for a chat, so I love it when people are open like that.

    x Envy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, I rarely do the same but if someone starts talking I am here for the small-talk. It was a bit ... weird at first. "Oh stranger ... talking ... to me"

      Delete
  5. Seems like a beautiful city! The architecture is very impressive. I like the indoor pool, it's a very ornate building.

    -Summer
    travelingsummer.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely one of the gorgeous city in Europe. I wish to visit Munich and explore the city. It was awesome to know that this is the home of BMW.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Most people associate Munich with beer and October Fest but Munich has so much to offer! I visited several times in the past and I really enjoyed your post. It made me re-live the whole experience. Thank you for sharing and keep up the great work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I always seem to forget that people associate it more with bear than with BMW. Shame on me ...

      Delete
  8. When I hear Munich, the first thing that came to my mind is the Neuschwanstein castle ! The first and only time I visited Germany was to Berlin, and I really loved how vibrant the city is ! I want to return to Germany again hoping to visit the castle which inspired Disney ! I didn't know BMW main office is in Munich. And that building looks very unique !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in Berlin this year as well and really enjoyed it - I am going to write about it later this year. The Neuschwanstein castle is beautiful but I've only seen it on photos as well ... time to add it on my list since its close to the border.

      Delete
  9. Munich is such an amazing city. Unfortunately during our visit to Germany, we only had a stop for a few hours in Munich during which we explored Marienplatz area. Thanks for sharing this informative post - I am sure I'll refer to it when we plan a longer visit to Munich. Would love to spend time in the beautiful English Garden and visit the BMW Museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit bmw was probably the high light for me but I know it's niche. I hope you get your longer stay :)

      Delete
  10. Lie in the sun and get drunk sounds interesting. I wonder if getting drunk during the golden hour is more effective? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If anyone knows the people in München do 😉

      Delete
  11. I've only been to Munich a couple of times for work around Oktoberfest and never had a chance to visit the city properly. The public pool looks so beautiful (I had no idea there is such a little gem in the city!) and there's seems to be so much green around. I really need to go back and explore more of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I adored the pool! It was an inside tip from a local and I am so glad I visited it :)

      Delete
  12. 'Vienna has a mixture of arrogance and indifference'. Hahaha, I lived in Vienna for a year and I totally agree with that! The city is beautiful, but somehow I did not feel friendly there. To tell the truth, the only friends I had were foreigners like me.
    I also always try to find out what is the essence of the place I visit. Sometimes the city is vibes with me, sometimes not. I think I would like Munich, especially its old part. I love beautiful architecture and this city has a lot to offer as I see in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me I know. I work in Vienna and I notice it all the time, I am afraid I contribute to it sometimes but you have to for survival 🙈😂

      München was great, I hope you get a chance to visit it :)

      Delete
  13. Munich looks so beautiful in your pictures. I'd love to visit that BMW museum.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Munich is one of those cities that can just steal your heart! This is seriously making me want to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Munich is many things, but above all, I value it for the atmosphere. I wish I had a longer visit there. Then I could get to know some locals and really feel the city.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a really chilled city to visit

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © floralcars.