Floralcars' 2019 Book Awards

Since the clocks ticked over, and the calenders have been turned, it is time to reflect on what is now known as the long distant 2019. While I already looked at my road trips of the year, the bookish side had to wait until now. Last year, I seemed to have started the "annual" floralcars' Book Awards so, time to play the music and present the nominations:

2019 Reading Stats 


In 2019 I read 38 books, which amounts to 11.253 digital and printed pages throughout the year. There had been no DNFs. The average length of my books had been 283 pages only, while the longest book I had held between my fingers had been Dan Simmons' "The Terror" with 769 pages, closely followed by Stephen King's "Sleeping Beauties" which holds 702 pages to its name. The average rating I bestowed upon these pieces of literature had been 3.9 stars - or as we say, flowers.

According to Goodreads, the most popular book I read was "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins - not surprising, since it had been part of my re-reading project this summer. Meanwhile, the dubious honour of least popular book goes - once again - to Spring Horton with "The Veritas Guild".

From these 38 books, 2 had been in German, and one in Spanish. From a blogger point of view, 19 of these had been given to me in exchange of an honest review.

After this quick stat flash, it is time to get into the award ceremony with ...



The Award for Top Reads

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins: it not only lives up to its name as most popular book I read in 2019 but is also worthy of a re-read 10 years later. The story and characters still managed to get me hooked and even re-reading the rest of the series as well.

100 Days of Sunlight by Abbie Emmons: captured me with its cuteness and the natural feeling of the love story that develops throughout the story. It also shows the two sides of dealing with being disabled, but still portraying neither as weak.

The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa: This is a story that starts light and fun, and then in the end decides to rip your heart out. I couldn't help but fall in love with the story, and while it is not a page-turner in the traditional sense, it has something much better: a heart.


The Award For Biggest Disappointment


The Black Veins by Ashia Monet: This was our third book club read and it simply could not live up to its promise. The story telling was wonky, the writing hadn't been much better ... I almost DNFed this book, wouldn't it have been our Book Club read. In fact, one member did DNF this and I can't blame her.

Let's Talk About Love by Claire Kann: Ah yes ... the asexual love story ... which had a lot to unpack, never mind the mediocre writing. I feel that this is a love it or hate it type of book and there doesn't appear to be a lot of ground in between. You can guess where I ended up.

Shut Up and Kiss Me by Julie Cannon: The WLW romance on a boat ... that wasn't really that romantic. Enough said ...

Award For The Best Book Series I Started



This one goes to the EMPATHY series by R.R. Campbell. The first part had been released in February, and the second quickly followed in May. There are going to be many more parts that I'll have my eyes set on. Not only is the writing of the story convincing but also the characters, so I very much look forward to what Campbell has planned for the following parts.

Mourning Dove by R. R. Campbell
The series starts with the EMPATHY study - a microchip that is implanted in your brain and should give you access through all the information available on the internet. However, the project is far from finished and the government also wants to protect their own interests. Thus, countless of lives are endangered and changed forever as the web becomes more and more twisted ...

Award For My Favourite Cover


This one goes to "The Terror" by Dan Simmons but also a very specific cover. In fact, I went a long way to get this specific cover and not the "loser version" which has the TV cover on the front - but that's a rant for another time.

Personally, I prefer the cover of the 2007 paper-pack version over any other because it depicts the coldness as well as the ship. I feel that it could belong in a museum for Victorian art. The cover was designed by Karen Horton and the art is by Marc Yankus.

The Terror by Dan Simmons


Award for the Best Passage or Quote


"Surprisingly, your heart is still full of benevolence and that shows the strength that is you. [...] The great sacrifices that I've witnessed are driven by it and it gives me great hope."

This quote stems from Olga Gibbs' novel "Hallow" the second installment of her Celestial Creatures series. I like it very much because it shows empathizes that love, being kind, and trying to be good is not failure but a superpower and takes a lot of strength.


Looking Forward To 2020 


Unlike for 2019, I have a few pre-orders in store for 2020. I very much look forward to the prequel of The Hunger Games Trilogy, while keeping excitement down to realistic levels so that it won't be spoiled by those. Furthermore, the novel "Loveless" is going to be published, which is a first of its kind and tells the story of an aromantic girl - so I am very much all "eyes emoji" for this. As well as accumulating a small TBR pile.

As far as blogging and book reviews are concered, I am very happy with what I achieved in 2019!

2 comments :

  1. I love all the stats that Goodreads shows you at the end of the year, they're so interesting to look at. It's good to see you had such a successful reading year. My latest post wrapped up some of my 2019 stats too, but I had a slightly different take on it and I should probably do a post like this where I talk about my favourites etc too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love snooping through the Goodreads stats. It is always fun and interested! :)

      Delete

Copyright © floralcars.