Slipping Into Another World With Books
My Summer Reading List

The days are getting longer, the shorts are getting shorter. The sun is warmer, and June is around the corner. Summer is almost here! And like in any summer, you can take a few weeks and zone out while lying in the sun, sipping on a fancy drink. Then go for a splash in the water, and meet with friends for ice cream.

I always enjoy the quiet time. There is nothing that can quite compare to taking a moment and lying in the sun watching the sky and reading a good book. This can be at home, in the park, or even in the Alps or a foreign city. It doesn't matter, you're comfortable as those pages take you on a journey.

This year, I picked a few books that are going on holiday with me. These are the books I want to read in summer. Some of them have been waiting to be read for quite a while and I hadn't had the time yet.

Jonathan Strange And Mr. Norrell 

by Susanna Clarke 

This is one of the books that have been sitting on my To Be Read Pile for ages. Maryia gifted it to me on my birthday - like I said, ages. However, since it has over 1,000 pages I have never dared to read it on the train. So summer seems like the right time to tackle the beast!

The story is about magic returning to olde England. After Mr. Norrell reveals his powers he takes on a young stundet - Jonathan Strange. Together they join the forces in the war against France. However, it seems that Strange is drawn to the wildest and most perilous forms of magic ...

Other than this being a gift, Maryia is head over heels in love with this book. She thought that with so many pages she'd get bored at some point but never did. In fact she regularly texted me how far she is and how many pages she had managed today. Her enthusiasm has won me over.

Sometimes she still pesters me when I'll read it, and finally I have an answer.


American Gods 

by Neil Gaiman 

Now I have to admit that amazon's production of this book has made me choose this as a summer read. However, not in the way you might think.

With many thanks to @ofBrokenborings
The short version: I am a wuss. The long version, I am not very good with watching very bloody scenes. Also one of the reasons I won't watch Game of Thrones. However, I read Game of Thrones. When I noticed that American Gods (the series) is based on a book, I didn't have a reason to stop me.

I am looking forward to reading about Shadow's new job as a bodyguard, driver and errand boy. Apparently it's a book that you either love or hate.

Aussie Grit

by Mark Webber

In this book Webber tells his story not only as a Formula One driver and in parts WEC. Right up my street, but why exactly Mark Webber?



I can't really tell. I have watched him race on and off, I saw his name pop up on occasion, and I have only watched a few of his F1 races and almost none of them live or I was too young to remember. While I do remember Le Mans 2014 it was a DNF so ...

However, I think this is why I picked his story. It spans the years of - what I call - My Great F1 Hiatus (2011 - mid 2013) while at the same time it gives me a story from a time of F1 that is still relevant. Furthermore, Mark Webber is a pretty likable bloke.

Turning for Home

by Caren J. Werlinger 



Every once in a while I stroll through a typical book shop and buy books on a hunch. This one was one of them. I read the blurb and a moment later I had bought it. Why?

It hints at a dark backstory that comes back to haunt Jules as she has to return back to her small hometown in Ohio. Slowly Jules starts to slip away and her partner Kelli starts to worry and so she has investigate. Soon a chain of events that will leave none of them unscathed.

I really look forward to learning about the dark secret of Jules' life, and uncovering the mysteries.

Matterhorn

by Karl Marlantes



This is a very heavy read, and I have been warned. In short: it is about the Vietnam war and follows the story of the Bravo Company. The book is an unforgettable story of courage, camaraderie and sacrifice.


It has been hailed as brilliant so many times, and if I am honest I don't think I have ever been so excited and yet terrified for a read. Especially since the reason it ended up on my list was because someone said that it changed her life.

That's a tall order for a book. And yet, I somehow don't doubt that it is going to live up to it.



I really hope that when September roll on that this list is going to be ticked off. That I could spend some time just lying in the sun and slipping into another world.

Have you read any of the books on my list? And more importantly, what's on your summer reading list?



How Did I Like My Summer Reading?


13 comments :

  1. Sounds like you have a fab summer of reading ahead of you!! Hopefully we can have some reviews!

    Sarah | sazsinclair.blogspot.co.uk xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually never read any of these 😱 Been a while since I saw someone's reading list and I was totally oblivious. Especially intrigued by American Gods though I haven't seen it yet, definitely need to read some reviews of that one 🙂 Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow that really amused me! ☺ But I guess it just shows how MANY books there are and now little time :(

      Delete
  3. American gods has been sat on TBR pile FOREVER. I can't wait to find the time to start it either, let me know what you think!

    Hannah @ The Northern Writes | www.thenorthernwrites.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, we have different pick for summer reading, aha. Even though these are nice choices too, but I'm always dreading to read 'the in reality' books such as Matterhorn. I'd like to challenge myself though - perhaps one day I'd pick it up. Turning For Home however sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Currently I am halfway through Turning For Home (summer starting early in my world) and I am enjoying it so far :)

      Delete
  5. Yes! I love new reading recommendations. I am currently reading Eat, Pray, Love, a classic for any travellers but only getting round to it now. I've also got The kite runner, a classic I thought I should read and The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. I've also got others on my to read list but those are the immediate ones :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! The Hitchhikers's Guide To The Galaxy is a great one! You should read it :) Xx

      Delete
  6. Seems like you have a good list of summer reading to get into. I was at uni for three years, so only really read academic readings and lost the thrill of reading for pleasure. This post has made me want to open a book because I haven't done so in ages.
    Lois x
    www.lifeasloismay.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's a shame :( but I hope you find some free time to read again :)

      Delete
  7. You've got some interesting book here. I can't wait for my Summer holidays to begin so I can finally dive into all the books on my reading list. There is quite a lot of theme there. xx

    Antonia || Sweet Passions

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yesss!! I am SUCH a Neil Gaiman fan, and hope that you love this one. Have you ever read Good Omens? And it's funny that so many of your summer reads are a bit heavy. No beachy reads for you 😂😂!

    xx
    Emily
    emilyhallock.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only read one Gaiman book before, but really enjoyed it. Ha ha, yes, I think that's so because I don't have the mental compasity for heavy reads after work 😅

      Delete

Copyright © floralcars.