The Hottest Release In April: Miracle Creek by Angie Kim

§ I received an ARC of this book via NetGalley to review but I was not financially compensated in any way. The opinions expressed are my own and are based on my observations while reading this novel. § 


Miracle Creek by Angie Kim
One day while browsing Rums the Reader's blog, I stumbled over her review of "Miracle Creek" and I was in love with the review and the book. I wanted to get my hands on a copy and started to count the days until April. At least until I remembered that I too use NetGalley. After a brief application I had been granted an ARC!

In all honesty, I am not even sure how I had been blessed with this book. It is wonderful and above my humble blog. Let me explain:

"Miracle Creek" starts with, what appears to be a simple mystery: Miracle Submarine is a pressurized oxygen chamber and is meant to help people with autism and infertility. In 2008, someone lit a match underneath the oxygen tank during a dive and the result was catastrophic: a child, and an adult death.

One year later the trail starts and the case seems straight forwards. However, as the story progresses things become more twisted. At first, you are on the side of the Yoo family and, of course, the defendant must be the guilty! Then it becomes apparent that the Young has lied, it changes little in the overall story but you begin to wonder as more and more cracks become visible.

In the end, you don't know on which side you are on anymore: When you hear the accusers sides it makes perfect sense but then the defense, it makes perfect sense as well. Halfway through, you don't even care about picking a side because it all became a mess and you can't find your way through it.

The different point of views do not take anything away from the mystery. It often adds a little piece of information to the riddle until everything falls into place at the very end. Even though, the ending is unexpected, it is not a plot twist that feels unnatural.

In addition, it adds another layer to each character. While Elizabeth may seem heartless through Young's eyes, when reading her story line she turns from a heartless monster who killed her child into a mother who is exhausted and at the brink of losing her sanity when the trail starts.

Not one person seemed to be underdeveloped as a character to me. We are given an insight into what motivates them or holds them back. Especially in the Yoo family Korean norms play a big role: Young had always been thought that as the woman she has to be quiet and a background character while Pak is the leader of the family and his orders need to be obeyed.

Korean norms, immigration and the racism that, sadly, goes along with it also play a role in "Miracle Creek." It does not set out to be a political book but neither does it beautify the toxic ideas surrounding Korean women and the hardship of immigration.

What caught me off guard was how beautifully written "Miracle Creek" is. It is eloquent, emphatic, and heartfelt. The story is not a bright one, and not a page-turner in the traditional sense. Instead, it is like a painting that depicts a tragic scene but the brush work is stunning and you can't help but stare.

This is "Miracle Creek" - a beautiful and sad painting but you spend hours in front of it because it casts a spell over you.




Miracle Creek by Angie Kim
Published2019 by Sarah Crichton Books
Pages: 368
ISBN:0374156026
Goodreads:Add to shelf


GRAB YOUR COPY

amazon.de  |  amazon.com 

14 comments :

  1. I like the sound of this one. Thanks for the review.
    Gemma @ Gemma's Book Nook

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just looking at this novel yesterday on Goodreads! Do you think it would be a good book club book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It would work perfectly for that :)

      Delete

  3. After reading your review I ran to Netgallery and put in a request - fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds interesting! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like a good read. great review, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it great when you just know you will love a book before you read it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely review!! This one sounds good :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. I do too! It won my award for best cover of the year ♥

      Delete

Copyright © floralcars.